Monday, May 6, 2013

I up and did it.



ever since i can remember i have always been fascinated by dreadlocks. something about that look of knots and naps and twists and loopy loops makes my heart skip a beat. 
to me they are an expression of strength, a spiritual understanding of sorts. 
I began this new journey april 21st, five days after i turned 37
 finally realizing i have waited way too long to be comfortable in my own hair. so, i up and did it.
i will let my hair grow free, tangle and flow as it will, in its natural design free of chemicals.

every day i am 'waking up' more and more. seeing the truth, and becoming who i am meant to be.
i was 31 when i realized who i really was. (so yes, i guess in essence i am 6yrs old) it was also the year i had my son which changed the course of my life forever and ever. i never thought i had it in me to love a baby boy, but when i had that little guy, the love in my heart was beyond measure, it was when i realized there was way more to life than what we know or can ever understand.
 it opened up a plethora of doors i never even knew existed in which shifted my universe and
 shook me awake with a vengeance. 

after several days of twisting and ripping and knotting my hair i finally felt complete, and as i counted the locks, i loved and appreciated every one. each one representing a new journey of its own. 
a representation of new life and freedom and individuality. 
i counted 31 dreads.
 funny how the universe speaks to us in so many ways.
my dreads are two weeks old now. frizzy and all kinds of funny but i love them anyways. 
they're me. 

so hello, im erica. and 31 is my numba.
  

The hair is the richest ornament of women.  ~Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment